[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Riseofpersia.com • View topic - Iranian Women Warriors

Riseofpersia.com

Rise of Persia - a full modification for Rome: Total War, based around the rise of the Achaemenid Persian dynasty.
It is currently Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:06 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 8:43 pm 

Ok, here's how to use it. You see three different tabs, right? For now, only one is of importance: The dictionary tab; This is where you make your selection out of four available dictionaries. "Concise Pahlavi Dictionary" is the one to choose. Thereafter you've made your selection, you've got two fields where you can write in your search terms (That's right, you can't browse here, you must search and hope for the best). For those not too familiar with Pahlavî, the one field of interest is "English word". Try typing something generic, like horse, rider, armour, lance, spear, hell... Heck anything! Then press 'enter' on your keyboard to get the results, or press "Star search". You don't need to worry about the other options for now, it is after all a dictionary with barely 4,200 words and phrases, so those option were probably meant to be used primarily with the Tamil and Sanskrit dictionaries that have much more entries.

Enjoy!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 9:02 pm 

Thnq very much for your gift TPC :D
I'm very interested in these pre-Arabised Persian words.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:53 am 

Ba Dorood;
@The Persian Cataphract
Thank you my friend. I will surely use it :)

@ALL
Now that our talk reached to this point ,I want asking you all to help save the "
"Mausoleum of Cyrus the great" and the archeological sites of Bolaghi Gorge in Pasargad plains which the regime is going to let them go down under water by flooding a newly constructed dam. This mausoleum and the archeological sites of Bolaghi Gorge are not just for iranians ,They're part of the human's history and like those Buddha's statues in Afghanistan ,Iran's Regime wants to do the same.
Check this out please : http://www.savepasargad.com/european_languages.htm

Thanks beforehand

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:05 am 

Kami wrote:
www.savepasargad.com/european_languages.htm

:o I didn't even knew about this at all..... :x
I'll spread the word :!:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:21 am 

It was very joyful to read your messages. Pity I didn't come sooner to take part in this discussion. And about Pasargad, it's been a matter of my greatest concerns lately. I've also signed the petition on the same site Kambiz mentioned and I recommend you all to do the same. It's a try to save a part of human's identity, which is again threatened by those who do not want future generations to know about their brilliant history.

@ The persian cataphract
Thank you for the concise Pahlavi dictionary. I'll make a good use of it. I also agree with you in using Persian words instead of Arabic ones and have done as much as I can to incite others to do the same. I practiced it and... it works! I was able to make some of my friends and relatives to put some Arabic words aside.

But I think you're a bit wrong about transformed Persian names. They're not Arabic at all. I don't think they are "not as bad as Abolfazl", I think they are "far far better than Abolfazl". And just think it's not practical to change these names' usage to their Pahlavi forms. For example can I force all people to call me Papak? (or Papag, if you refer to the very original form) Even Ferdowsi, who has done as much as a man can to preserve Persian language, didn't choose to use Papak, or Vahman; even though if he did, it was a strong possibility that modern people would have used the original form. Don't you think he had a point? And who can say Babak or Bahram is Arabic? So the priority for triggering changes in Persian language should be given to direct Arabic words.

@ Kami and farsi1986
I think the problem of the oppression bestowed on Iranian women is rooted in the weakness of culture and social understandings among our people. If they were more socially well-educated or less thoughtless, they were apt to see in what lies their profit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 6:01 pm 

Babak The Persian wrote:
But I think you're a bit wrong about transformed Persian names. They're not Arabic at all. I don't think they are "not as bad as Abolfazl", I think they are "far far better than Abolfazl". And just think it's not practical to change these names' usage to their Pahlavi forms. For example can I force all people to call me Papak? (or Papag, if you refer to the very original form) Even Ferdowsi, who has done as much as a man can to preserve Persian language, didn't choose to use Papak, or Vahman; even though if he did, it was a strong possibility that modern people would have used the original form. Don't you think he had a point? And who can say Babak or Bahram is Arabic? So the priority for triggering changes in Persian language should be given to direct Arabic words.

Well, one could at least say that Bahrâm is a very slightly Arabized Persian name whereas Abelfezl (I like to pronounce it that way, makes a stupid name sound even more stupid) so I did not say that these names were Arabic. I hope you certainly realized that. Ferdowsi poured his own life into reinvigorating the Persian language but after so many centuries, basically livng off oral traditions, things are bound to have a toll. He did faithfully recreate the Pishdâdî and Kâyânî legends, as well as write down the most popular tradition of the Xwâtây-î Nâmig (The basis of the Shâhnâmeh, a compilation written during the late period of the Sassanian Empire). But there were still traces of Arabic, and this was even after Ferdowsi had even retouched his own writings! Back then, the Kufic script certainly did not feature letters representing the "V" or "P" sounds, and the Aramaic script would have been fairly obscure in a place such as Tûs, and back then he was the court poet of the Ghaznavid Khan. It was certainly not out of ignorance that Ferdowsi did not write names in their original Sassanid form (The dynasty that he venerated the most) but out of simple, practical causes. The alphabet he wrote it in, simply did not support these letters. This is why we see names such as Esfandiyâr. It was not the fault of Ferdowsi, for he was merely a victim of the times.

I agree that the blatantly Arabic words should be our top priority. Words such as "Khalij", "Fars", "Salaam", "Inshallah", "Mashallah" and the most aggravating one, "Pars" (Used to designate the barking of a dog) should be weeded out from the common Iranian psyche. Our language is beautiful and only when we can see the beauty collectively do we get a sense of detail and perfection.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 1:34 pm 

The Persian Cataphract wrote:
Well, one could at least say that Bahrâm is a very slightly Arabized Persian name whereas Abelfezl (I like to pronounce it that way, makes a stupid name sound even more stupid) so I did not say that these names were Arabic. I hope you certainly realized that.

I certainly realize that! :D

and back then he was the court poet of the Ghaznavid Khan.

I do not agree with some of your opinions. Please clarify me if I'm wrong. First I should say Ferdowsi was no court poet of the Ghaznavid Khan. The Ghaznavids' ascension to throne occured when there was little left of Shahnameh's compilation. It was originally composed for eventual presentation to the Samanid princes of Khorasan and Ferdowsi did not linger in Sultan Mahmud's court as did all court poets. He just presented his book to him (as there was no other king left and he needed a king to ensure his book's endurance) and left his court shortly afterwards when the Ghaznavid king retracted and presented him with twenty thousand dirhams.

Back then, the Kufic script certainly did not feature letters representing the "V" or "P" sounds, and the Aramaic script would have been fairly obscure in a place such as Tûs.

Indeed Kufic script could feature the letter "V"! It was frequently used in Arabic. I also doubt that back then there was no way to write down the four special Persian letters. Because as you cretainly know there are numberless words in Shahnameh with letters like "p","g" and "ch". If the script in which Ferdowsi wrote his book didn't support Persian letters, then how was he able to write these words down correctly?

It was not the fault of Ferdowsi, for he was merely a victim of the times.

I disagree with your idea. Ferdowsi never became "a victim of the times". If he was to become a victim of the times, he would have never succeeded in reviving Persian language to such an amount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 1:56 pm 

http://www.savepasargad.com/european_languages.htm
the site is down :?.... does this mean the flooding has been done :?::!:

***Edit***
Oh yeah never mind :P , it's up again...
I'm having some connectivity problems with some other sites as well lately :?

Last edited by Farsi1986 on Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:35 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:23 pm 
Rise of Persia developer

It's up for me. Some 40 people have signed the petition after me already.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:38 am 
Rise of Persia developer

Indeed, I get a nice input of info here! Thanks especially to TPC, always nice to read his stuff, proving that game fora can be of high level discussions. I don't agree with everything (the dating of the orlat battle-plague e.g.), but getting native Iranian view on Iranian history is something I desire for I as a "western man" have a quite different look on Iranian history, naturally.
In Germany we were and are very graecophil, even up to point, when Germany's states supported the Greek independence war, yet even made the Greek state possible - for that graecophily alone, for reading Homer, Platon etc.! Hard to imagine, I guess. The Persians were considered the bad guys, of course.
Although this has changed and Germany (and Austria) has become a quite good place for Iranian historians, my view is still that of a classicist (and I won't put that word in inverted commas for political correctness - but that is another story...), therefore I value such Iranian input, no matter how "educated" it may be.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next