[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Riseofpersia.com • View topic - Regarding the Egyptian army [research complete]

Riseofpersia.com

Rise of Persia - a full modification for Rome: Total War, based around the rise of the Achaemenid Persian dynasty.
It is currently Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:49 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:28 pm 

The first thing you should know about the Egyptian army is that they did not have cavalry,only chariots and these were only used after encountering the Hitites.They did have mounted messengers though,they were unarmoured and unarmed and armoured horsemen were only introduced
in the Persian and Ptolamic empires.

The painted white lines may represent a natural piebald hide,or may reflect the Egyptian practice of chalking such markings on the animals.

Prior to the New Kingdom the Egyptian infantryman had been unarmoured,wearing just a kilt and armed with a sheild and spear.However,warfare first against the Hyksos, and then against the Canaanites and Sea peoples had led to the introduction of armour for heavy infantry.Basic defences were the sheild,a 'cuirass' of padded linen on the kilt or shenti.Arms were the spear and either an axe or a khopesh,the mace having declined in importance with the arrival of armoured enemies.

[url][img][/url]
The Khopesh
The Egyptians appear to have learned the art of manufacturing such swords from the Canaanites during the New Kingdom period,and called the swords khopesh after their term for the foreleg of an animal.The khopesh was still being used by the Egyptians when they fought the Sea peoples.

Aechers were the vital corps corps of the Egyptian army,whether on foot or in chariots.The light foot archer is unarmoured expect for a quilted headress,but heavey archers and those in chariots had the padded 'cuirass'.We cannot be certain of clothing colours,but the Egyptians had a knowledge of mordant dyes,and used red,blue,green,yellow and brown in various shades in addition to white,black and grey.They did noy have lilac,purple,orange,crimson or olive green.Clothing was predominantly white according to survivng paintings,but some was striped or patterned,generally with red or blue,and coloured borders made up of a number of thin lines were quite common.

The Nubians were noted archers and large numbers fought for the Egyptians.Their cheifs wore ostrich and other feathers on their heads,and large circular earrings of gold,as well as gold collars and bracelets.Paintings show the Nubians with reddish brown skin,the Kushites with black skin.It is probable that the Nubians,with their mixed Hamatic and Egyptian blood,though still possessing negroid features,were of a lighter skin than the purer negro stock living of those Kushites living west of the Nile.

Egyptian chariots were designed to assault the enemys main line from a distance with archery,and so weaken it for an infantry attack.Enemy chariots tried to prevent this from happening and do the same to the Egyptian infantry and,as the chariot forces become ever bigger,so this preliminary skirmish for chariot supremacy tended to become the crisis of a battle.
[/img][/img]

Last edited by Coolkid on Fri Jul 07, 2006 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:32 pm 
Rise of Persia developer

nice stuff, although the images do not appear to work

Im sure flieger will be by to discuss this with you as the Egyptians were researched by him. Although he will ask for sources to be cited

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 1:14 pm 
Rise of Persia developer

hi Ck, good to see you!

I'll come straight to the point: Why didn't you mention the Greek and Karian hoplites?

I would like to know the sources and literature you used, that is really important.

Edit: I was hoping for a discussion. Since that seems unlikely know, I'll need to make a statement. From my point of view, the above research does not provide an accurate picture of Saitic Egypt's army, consequently the RoP team's reconstruction of this army won't look like that. Further information will be given either in a discussion (if someone wants to) or in the preview of Egypt.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 11:23 am 
Rise of Persia developer

Egyptians does not have scythed chariots, so melee damage must be low due to lack of sharp parts on it. As I know, their invention accords to persians in period of 530-350 bc to strenghten chariot units.

p.s. Time period is based on opinions of lots of historians, ancient and modern, so I cant give source cause it's impossible. But somewhere I've seen an article about this type of chariots.

Octo.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:11 am 

While we are on the topic of Egyptians i have some concept art for the mod team with regards to the egyptians. After reading the fact about the Egyptians themselves having no cavalry i did some research and found that Libyan cavalry from Siwa to the west were often employed as mercenaries or auxilliaries to supplement the Pharoah's armies and help drive off pesky skirmishers. I think the Egyptians should have a combination of light cavalry only if they conquer Siwa in the western desert. I'm thinking ahead for the AoR stage of the mod when it comes around ;)

These are just concept art taken from a minature wargaming site. Personally i think the modellers can do a better job at recreating libyan cavalry however they still need basic reference points, so here they are.

I will do a full Egyptian research including units and their economy if the mod team want me to, (its alot of work :) ).

Anyway, as always i'll be on the case ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 2:29 pm 
Rise of Persia developer

thanks for the offer friend but fliegerAD has already researched the egyptians. They are under development now

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 6:34 pm 
Rise of Persia developer

I guess you will see them in a few weeks.