[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Riseofpersia.com • View topic - [title lost]

Riseofpersia.com

Rise of Persia - a full modification for Rome: Total War, based around the rise of the Achaemenid Persian dynasty.
It is currently Sun May 27, 2018 5:18 am

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 4:52 am 

I'd like to first say that this has NOT been easy.

It seems the Babylonian took Assyrian tactics into their fold.

By the way, I made mention of the Assyrians being around in the main forum.
They WERE, but not in power.

Now more info folks:
Source: Catholic Encyclopedia

In 561 B.C., Nabuchodonosor was succeeded by Evil-Merodach (2 Kings 25:27), who released Joachim of Juda and raised him above the other vassal kings at Babylon, but his mild rule evidently displeased the priestly caste, and they accused him of reigning lawlessly and extravagantly. After less than three years he was assassinated by Neriglissar (Nergal-sar-usur), his brother-in-law, who is possibly the Nergalsharezer present at the taking of Jerusalem (Jer. xxxix, 3-13). Neriglissar was after four years succeeded by his son Labasi-Marduk, no more than a child, who reigned nine months and was assassinated.

The conspirators elected Nabonidus (Nabu-na'id) to the throne. He was the last King of Babylon (555-539 B.C.). He was a royal antiquarian rather than a ruling king. From their foundations he rebuilt the great Shamash temple in Sippar and the Sin temple in Harran, and in his reign the city walls of Babylon "were curiously built with burnt brick and bitumen". But he resided in Tema, shunned the capital, offended the provincial towns by transporting their gods to Shu-anna, and alienated the priesthood of Babylon by what they would call misdirected piety. To us his antiquarian research after first foundation-stones of the temples he rebuilt is of the greatest importance. He tells us that the foundation-stone of the Shamash temple laid by Naram Sin had not been seen for 3200 years, which, roughly speaking, gives us 3800 B.C., for Sargon of Akkad, Naram Sin's father; upon this date most of our early Babylonian chronology is based. The actual duties of government seem to have been largely in the hands of the Crown Prince Baltassar (Bel-shar-usur), who resided in Babylon as regent.

Meanwhile Cyrus, the petty King of Anshan, had begun his career of conquest. He overthrew Astyages, King of the Medes, for which victory Nabonaid praised him as the young servant of Merodach; he overthrew Croesus of Lydia and his coalition; he assumed the title of King of the Parsu, and ha begun a new Indo-Germanic world power which replaced the decrepit Semitic civilization. At last Nabonaid, realizing the situation, met the Persians at Opis. Owing to internal strife amongst the Babylonians, many of whom were dissatisfied with Nabonaid, the Persians had an easy victory, taking the city of Sippar without fighting. Nabonaid fled to Babylon. Cyrus's soldiers, under the generalship of Ugbaru (Gobryas), Governor of Gutium, entered the capital without striking a blow and captured Nabonaid. This happened in June; in October Cyrus in person entered the city, paid homage at E-sagila to Marduk. A week later the Persians entered, at night, that quarter of the city where Baltassar occupied a fortified position in apparent security, where the sacred vessels of Jehovah's temple were profaned, where the hand appeared on the wall writing Mane, Tekel Phares, and where Daniel was offered the third place in the kingdom (i.e. after Nabonaid and Baltassar). That same night Baltassar was slain and the Semitic Empire of Babylon came to an end, for the ex-King Nabonaid spent the rest of his life in Carmania.

Cool?
BTW, I have no direct sources to pull from, my 20 yrs. research was personal, not professional!
I wanted to be an archaeologist, studying Ancient Greece, Rome and Biblical Lands!

Last edited by hellas1 on Fri Feb 24, 2006 4:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 5:47 am 
Rise of Persia developer

Great research Hellas! One minor thing I noticed though, you mentiond Kyros(Greek speeling, Cyrus is Latin)wanted to begin an Indo-GERMANIC empire. :o It should be Indo-IRANIAN or just Iranian because the Indo-Germanics were just hiary smelly guys in dark forests scratching lord-knows-what-is-down-there in this period and had nothing to do with the Persians. :) Just alittle FYI to yah there.

But other than that I thought it was great and accurate. Rez might not think so however...

Last edited by Celtic Man on Sun Feb 26, 2006 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 9:54 am 
Rise of Persia developer

Maybe it was a mistake; I can't believe hat Cyrus wanted to make an indo-germanic empire :P But the rest of the research may prove quite useful.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:46 pm 
Rise of Persia developer

Hey this is great stuff and will certainly help in the family tree and description areas. Indo - germanic is just a little misplaced choice of words. Indo european is the usual version - but of course cyrus had no intention of truly reffering to himself as anything other than Persian. (except when neccesary, i would suggest he used his median heritage to console the loss of independence of media.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 8:23 pm 
Rise of Persia developer

Celtic Man wrote:
Great research Hellas! One minor thing I noticed though, you mentiond Kyrus(Greek speeling, Cyrus is Latin)wanted to begin an Indo-GERMANIC empire. :o It should be Indo-IRANIAN or just Iranian because the Indo-Germanics were just hiary smelly guys in dark forests scratching lord-knows-what-is-down-there in this period and had nothing to do with the Persians. :) Just alittle FYI to yah there.

Nah... the name is Kyros (transscripted) and the Persians belonged to the Indo-German(ic...) peoples-family like the Dorians (Sparta...), Latins (Rome...), Arians etc. etc.
Philologists can still see this in the languages, having the same root: Indo-German. Here is an example with ancient Greek and Latin, if you know these languages, you will understand it.

<a href="http://img399.imageshack.us/img399/7652/indo0ps.jpg" target="_blank">http://img399.imageshack.us/img399/7652/indo0ps.jpg</a>

Anyway, the Ancient peoples were not aware of the same roots they had, actually it was discovered rather recently (19/20th cent.). I am not aware, that the name was changed to Indo-European... well, maybe on this little Island north of France, they just refuse to say Indo-German. :P

Hellas1, does the bible reveal anything about their military? Every little information is valuable somehow.

Last edited by FliegerAD on Sat Feb 25, 2006 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 8:28 pm 
Rise of Persia developer

Oh im sorry flieger i didnt realise the usual term was indo german on the continent. I was always taught indo european in england.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 8:32 pm 
Rise of Persia developer

No need to be sorry, I could be wrong. Maybe it is only us in Germany who still stick on that term... I really don't know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 9:21 am 
Rise of Persia developer

FliegerAD wrote:
Nah... the name is Kyros (transscripted) and the Persians belonged to the Indo-German(ic...) peoples-family like the Dorians (Sparta...), Latins (Rome...), Arians etc. etc.
Philologists can still see this in the languages, having the same root: Indo-German. Here is an example with ancient Greek and Latin, if you know these languages, you will understand it.

<a href="http://img399.imageshack.us/img399/7652/indo0ps.jpg" target="_blank">http://img399.imageshack.us/img399/7652/indo0ps.jpg</a>

Anyway, the Ancient peoples were not aware of the same roots they had, actually it was discovered rather recently (19/20th cent.). I am not aware, that the name was changed to Indo-European... well, maybe on this little Island north of France, they just refuse to say Indo-German. :P

Hellas1, does the bible reveal anything about their military? Every little information is valuable somehow.

I know, I forgot to type the O when I posted but was to tired to care and just went to bed. :lol: Sorry to dissapoint, I know my Greek from my Latin quite well, I just have a tendency to hit "post reply" before I look it over. :P It's Greek for Kurush, there now enough about that! :)

And the Persians were indo-Iranian.(hence the IRANIAN)Which i'm guessing were either desent from or related to the Indo-germanics, they travaled southeast(then south, then alittle west) from the caspian along with the "Ayran" ancestors of the Indians,(thats assuming were going with the Ayran invasion theory) then they split up and became Iranians. I may be wrong but doesint Indo-Germanic refer to the poeple who went WEST of the caspian and became folks such as the Germans, Slavs,(?!) Franks, Saxons, Sarmatians, ect?

If i'm wrong please be so kind as to correct me guys but I think I atleast got SOMTHING in there right. :)

Last edited by Celtic Man on Sun Feb 26, 2006 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 3:25 pm 
Rise of Persia developer

i believe it links the two peoples together because they supposedly all started out together in the caucasus

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:01 am 
Rise of Persia developer

Yes that makes sense Rez.

WayOffTopic: BTW i saw your new avatar on TWC LOL! I'd suggest the Sands of time prince over the WW prince tho, looks more heroic and less like a rock star.