[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Riseofpersia.com • View topic - [title lost]

Riseofpersia.com

Rise of Persia - a full modification for Rome: Total War, based around the rise of the Achaemenid Persian dynasty.
It is currently Sat May 27, 2017 5:37 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 2:31 am 

what does AOR mean?

Post subject: Re: Missing factions
PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:25 am 

Area Of Recruitment, in other words unique recruitment depending on the region you are in. For example spartans in sparta but not in Jerusalem, while you could recruit units there that you can't recruit in Sparta.

On the question on Saba. Well this would be about the period they'd be the strongest. Perhaps for the bedouins a faction such as the Qedar could be included. These were fierce warrior nomads

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:18 pm 
Rise of Persia developer

We only really have room for one faction in Arabia but if you have some research to show us on the Qedar to assert that they would be a better choice I would be happy to go over it.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:03 am 

Sorry for the very late response but I was a bit bussy. I typed a very lengthy reply yesterday at 3:30 am, but thanks to a bad connection I lost it. As it was so late I was to lazy to write it once more.

This time I'm going to keep rather short, as I'm not in the mood anymore to make a lengthy post. For a historical introduction I'll just link you to wikipedia this time: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qedarite

Now why you should add the qedarites instead of the sabaeans:
-Were active and lived in the area the mod's about. while the Sabaeans only had some distant trade contact, and only mingled with politics and wars a thousand miles more south in their own little remote area.
-The Qedar were international big players when it comes to politics and war. They have actually fought the assyrians. Though at certain times they did pay tribute. Later they were allies of the Persians. They have fought the egyptians on occansions as well.
-economically they were important players as well, controlling the ends of the incense routes.
-they actually fought on camelbacks, which is always a fun thing to add to a game. Sabaeans didn't (so even if you decide to pick them as a faction, you shouldn't give them camels.)
-Gameplay wise it would be a faction which has much more to offer, and isn't in a remote area minding its own business.

the reason why Saba' probably is included is because other mods have them as well, and because they are much more known. (thanks to the famous queen from the bible). They might have more information about them, but not much more in this timeframe. Most information is from the first century BC to the 3 AD and is unuseable for the mod. In other words Saba has probably been added thanks to the wrong reasons and the Qedari seem a much better option.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 4:18 pm 
Rise of Persia developer

Sounds reasonable to me. I'll make sure to come back to this when we create the Arabic faction.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:38 pm 

Great. Also if you ever need certain information or need some historical advice on Ancient Arabia, you can always pm me at TWC or even better at the guild. I'm always happy to shed more light on some of the sadly more forgotten ancient cultures of Arabia. :)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:14 am 

So the Qedarites would basically represent all famous those camel-mounting archer pairs known for their active role in the wars of that era and before... At least that's that is the way that the "Arabs" are treated like quite frequently. But if only one faction can remain in Arabia, it would be a shame to discard the Sabaeans. Sure, there's much credit to give to the biblical Queen for their fame, but on the other hand, they founded an incredibly long-lasting kingdom.